Are you struggling to sleep through these hot summer nights? With nighttime temperatures hanging around the mid to late 20s it is important to keep your body cool this summer and maintain a regular body temperature between 36.5 degrees to 37.5 degrees Celsius. When your body temperature goes above this optimal temperature, your body clock can go out of sync making it difficult to fall and remain asleep.
Beat the Heat this Summer
Fortunately, there are some simple solutions to try to give yourself the refreshing sleep you need. Read on to discover how to beat the heat and get a better night’s sleep.
Cool down your body
- Stay away from caffeinated drinks or hot beverages before bed.
- Remain hydrated by drinking water.
- Have a cold or lukewarm shower before bed.
- Wear light-weight cotton.
- Keep a damp washcloth or spray bottle close by.
Stay cool in bed
- Invest in high quality cotton bedding and reduce the number of layers you sleep under.
- Cuddling your partner is incredibly fine. However, do keep in mind that you and your partner will be absorbing each other’s body heat if you are sleeping skin to skin. Look to putting some space between you and your partner during the hotter nights.
- Cool your bedding by putting sheets in a plastic bag and into the freezer just before you go to bed.
- Keep your feet and hands out of the covers to allow the heat to be released.
Create a cool bedroom
- Close up windows and keep blinds drawn during the day.
- Keep the air conditioner set in the low 20s.
- Allow for air circulation by opening the windows when the temperature drops in the evening.
- Set up a fan in one corner of the room to allow for optimal air flow when you sleep.
Following a few of these solutions should help you achieve a better and much cooler night’s sleep. If you are still struggling to fall asleep or you aren’t having a quality night’s sleep no matter how hard you have tried, you may be suffering from sleep apnoea, which is a common and serious sleep disorder that blocks your upper airway and causes breathing to stop during sleep. Dr Levi is a snoring and sleep apnoea specialist with over 20 years’ experience. Dr Levi’s Sleep Clinic uses the latest technological advancements to offer customised solutions that work.
Don’t waste another night of sleep – call Dr Levi on (02) 9283 1900 or book a consultation today.